Develops projects that enable APABA members to serve and positively impact the Asian Pacific American (APA) community in the Los Angeles area. Recent projects have included:
- Organizing and recruiting volunteers for legal clinics that educate underserved members of the APA community on issues such as tenant rights, elder rights, immigration law, the small claims process, employment law issues, and protection under the Violence Against Women Act;
- Hosting "Elder Law Days" to educate low-income senior citizens on elder abuse and assisting them in preparing advance health directives, simple wills, and powers of attorney;
- Organizing an Expungement Clinic to assist individuals seeking gainful employment;
- Mentoring and tutoring APA youth, in conjunction with the Asian Youth Center and other organizations, and hosting gang intervention seminars;
- Serving and preparing meals for the homeless at the Union Rescue Mission every month; and
- Collecting toys during the winter holidays for low-income APA children.
|APABA Monthly Community Legal Clinics
Attorneys and law students are needed to volunteer at APABA's monthly legal clinics at the Monterey Park Public Library, which serves a significant Asian population. Volunteers will be matched with a clinic participant and help with intake and provide information in response to myriad legal issues in the areas of family law, estate planning, criminal law, civil matters, labor and employment, government benefits, and immigration.
To volunteer, please register online for a clinic. If you are interested in joining our clinic planning committee and/or have any questions, please e-mail Deborah Yao at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot make it to the clinic but would be available to consult via telephone, please email us your name, telephone, and area of specialty/expertise.
Please read the following handouts and instructions before volunteering at an APABA Monthly Community Legal Clinic:
The handouts provide crucial information regarding our policies and guidelines for the clinic intake and consultation (e.g., no referrals to private attorneys). Reading the handouts and filing out the form ahead of time will expedite the sign-in and orientation process and enable you to start volunteering right away.
Tuesday, May 09, 2017 6:00 PM • Monterey Park Public Library, 318 S. Ramona Ave., Monterey Park, CA 91754
Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:00 PM • Monterey Park Public Library, 318 S. Ramona Ave., Monterey Park, CA 91754
Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:00 PM • Monterey Park Public Library, 318 S. Ramona Ave., Monterey Park, CA 91754